How do I prevent pipes from freezing in my home?
Q: How do I prevent pipes from freezing in my home? Phil,
A: Winter time in colder parts of the US unfortunately means dealing with the risk of pipes in your home or property freezing and bursting. I’m going to give you 5 tips to help prevent pipes in your property from freezing:
1. Wrap pipes near exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape.
2. Keep your home heated when it’s cold even if you’re going away or leaving the house for a long period of time.
3. Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow heat from the home to circulate.
4. Cover or close open-air vents because freezing temperatures combined with wind drafts can cause pipes to freeze.
5. Weather seal your windows.
Thanks for your question, Phil—good luck. For more real estate tips and information, visit my blog at geraldlucas.com or performanceproperty.com. I’m Gerald Lucas and I’ll see you again soon.